21 – 27 June is Love Your Lungs Week where we are helping to raise awareness of the importance of taking care of your lungs.
How do your lungs work?
“Your lungs are incredible. Every day you take about 25,000 breaths, mostly without thinking.”
Living with a lung condition can be hard. Over the past year, the pandemic has taught us just how important it is to love our lungs.
How often you breathe in and out every minute depends on your age and what you’re doing. If you’re resting, an adult will breathe around 12-20 times a minute – that adds up to around 17,000 – 30,000 times a day! The amount of air that moves in and out of your lungs can vary from just a few litres a minute when you’re resting, to over 100 litres a minute if you’re exercising vigorously.
The lungs absorb oxygen from the air you breathe in and transfer it into your bloodstream so that it can get to every part of your body. As the cells in your body work, they produce a waste gas called carbon dioxide that is released into the bloodstream. Your lungs get rid of this waste gas when you breathe out.
Your two lungs fill your chest and sit on either side of your heart. Lungs are made up of areas called lobes – your right lung has three lobes, and your left lung has two. Your left lung is smaller than your right because it shares that side of the chest with your heart.
To find out more about how your lungs work download this informative guide here.
Did you know?
- 10,000 people are diagnosed with lung disease every week.
- The British Lung Foundation helpline answers more than 20,000 calls a year.
- Somebody dies from lung disease in the UK every 5 minutes.
- Approximately one in five people in the UK has ever developed asthma, COPD or another long-term respiratory illness. Half of them are currently on treatment (mainly inhalers) for lung disease.
- Lung diseases are responsible for more than 700,000 hospital admissions and over 6 million inpatient bed-days in the UK each year.
Find out more here.
The British Lung Foundation are urging people to get out walking this June and show support for everyone with a lung condition.
Walk any distance you want, when you want and where you want – laps of your garden, swapping the school run for a stroll, or hiking at weekends, it all counts! Set your own targets, track your steps, and unlock rewards.
Sign up here