Canine Partners is a national charity, with training centres around the country, including Southampton and Heyshott (near Midhurst, West Sussex)
Their dogs are trained to assist with practical tasks that may be difficult, painful or impossible for you to perform, such as:
- Opening and closing doors and cupboards
- Retriving items
- Helping you to get undressed
- Pressing buttons and switches
- Raising the alarm in an emergency
- Unloading washing machines and tumble driers
- Other tasks, depending on your individual needs.
The charity retains ownership of the dog during its working life, but for the cost of £1 you will become a custodian of the dog.
You will be responsible for the usual costs of looking after a dog, including food and healthcare.
If you are over 18 and have a disability that affects your mobility and quality of life, you can request an application pack directly from Canine Partners.Details of the application and assessment process are available on the website.