Making an NHS complaint in Portsmouth

Sometimes things go wrong with the care we receive.

If you wish to make a complaint about the service you have received the first step is to complain directly to the service with which you are unhappy.

All NHS services, whether a Doctors surgery, hospital or dentist, have a complaints procedure and a named individual who you can speak to about your concerns. Other primary care services such as Pharmacists and Opticians which provide services funded by the NHS will also have a complaints procedure which should be readily available. They will listen to you and will try and resolve your concerns.

Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust Complaints 
Solent NHS Trust Complaints 

Portsmouth Clinical Commissioning Group complaints procedure
Making a NHS complaint
Making a NHS complaint Easy Read

If you still feel that your concerns were not dealt with properly, there is a formal complaints procedure that you can follow. There is also a process to follow if your complaint relates to social care services provided by Portsmouth City Council. Please use the self help guide on this page to find the best route for you.

For more information and guidance:


Contact telephone: 0330 440 9000.

(Lines are open 9am – 5pm Monday-Friday. Out of hours please leave a message and we will get back to you).

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy 

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Flyer

Complaints Help

Making a complaint can be daunting. If you live in the Portsmouth City Council area (your postcode starts with PO1 – PO6) and feel that you need support throughout the complaint process or if you just need a little advice contact to reach the Portsmouth based service can be made through the Contact Centre of the advocacy service provider organisation The Advocacy People.  You can telephone:   0330 440 9000 or email: 


  NHS Complaints and raising concerns

  Know your rights

  Easy read NHS Complaint Help


Can I complain on behalf of someone?

  • You may complain on behalf of a friend or family member if they give written permission.
  • You may complain on behalf of a deceased friend or family member without written permission. The NHS will make a decision whether you are a suitable representative and inform you.
  • You may complain on behalf of a friend or family member that is unable to give their consent. The NHS will investigate their capacity before dealing with the complaint.

How long do I have to make a formal complaint?

  • The NHS guidelines are that you should make a complaint within 12 months of the incident. There will be some leeway for extenuating circumstances.