Portsmouth libraries offer a range of services for blind and visually impaired people. All libraries stock large print and talking books, and you can also download audio books for free on their online service.
The library service has a dedicated Visual Impairment Officer, who can give help and advice on any aspect of vision impairment by phone or email (contact details below).
Resources at Portsmouth libraries include:
Available to borrow:
- Large print books
- Books in Braille
- Talking books / audio books
- Talking newspaper
- Braille transcription and printing service service
- Braille tuition
Groups and activities:
- Monthly reading group at Central Library
- Computer training, to learn to use different types of speech and magnification software like Zoom text, Jaws and Guide. Sessions are every Wednesday at Central Library from 2pm - 3.30pm.
- Social drop-in group, every Thursday morning 10am - 12noon at Southsea Library.
An access guide for the Central Library is available on DisabledGo.com
There is no charge for these services.